A master of storytelling shows you how to use stories to achieve any business objective—including to create buy-in, resolve conflict, and inspire and motivate others.
What’s your story? It’s a question human beings have been asking each other since we first gathered around a campfire. Millennia later, this human need for storytelling hasn’t changed. We communicate most effectively through our personal stories—and our professional success depends on it.
This groundbreaking guide shows you how to tap into the timeless power of storytelling to transform your business. Here, Academy Award nominated filmmaker, executive coach, and storytelling trainer Murray Nossel, PhD, distills decades of expertise into a simple method to:
* Find the right story to target your particular audience and challenge.
* Leverage your own experiences, memories, history, and heritage.
* Create, develop, and craft a universal story.
* Connect with business associates on a more personal, relatable level.
* Share your corporate vision and goals—and get others on board.
* Resolve workplace conflicts and find workable solutions.
* Boost creativity, spread ideas, and spark true innovation.
* Improve teamwork and collaboration through listening and learning.
* Integrate storytelling into all your communications for ongoing success.
The approach you’ll learn is a proven three-step technique that Nossel’s company Narativ has used with scores of organizations ranging from nonprofits to Fortune 500 companies. First, you excavate your personal memories and experiences to generate story ideas that suit your particular needs. Second, you craft and shape these elements into a classic story structure that connects with audiences. Third, you present your story to your business audiences using simple performance techniques that anyone can master. A fundamental element of this method is a focus on listening: the ability to hear yourself, as well as the feedback provided by a given audience―because it is your audience’s listening that shapes your telling.
Everyone needs to communicate well to succeed in business. And everyone has a story to tell. Powered by Storytelling
shows you how to tell your story, connect with your audience, and achieve results.
Murray Nossel, PhD, is the founder and director of Narativ, a firm with offices in New York and London that specializes in storytelling in a business context. Murray helps clients, including Fortune 500 companies, universities, and nonprofits, create messages that genuinely represent who they are and what they do for onboarding, recruiting, employee engagement, as well as branding and external messaging.
Originally a clinical psychologist, Murray is on the teaching faculty of the Program of Narrative Medicine at Columbia University.